Adds Value to a Diploma
Tennessee Scholars Begins It’s 27th Year Honoring Tennessee Students Success
Due to the COVID 19 virus restrictions, the total number of volunteer hours for 2021 Tennessee Scholar graduates may be reduced to 60 if needed. We encouraged all students to still find as many ways to volunteer in the community. This requirement will be reevaluated after this year. Please stay safe.
What is Tennessee Scholars?
It is a workforce development, rewards and incentives HONOR for students who graduate high school with the required courses and additional expectations of attendance, discipline, and volunteer service. It is open to all students who qualify.
What are the benefits?
Tennessee Scholars requirements are the minimum requirements one needs to prepare for college and career. The benefits are scholarships to many Universities, job preferential hiring, recognition at graduation, obtaining the distinction of being a scholar that will be on your permanent record for the rest of your life.
How do you become a Tennessee Scholar?
- Apply by completing the Application for Tennessee Scholars.
- Tennessee Scholars must be documented on the checklist each year. The requirement must be completed without exception.
- Seniors must complete the student checklist before the deadline of your senior year (usually March 1st). Your counselor must approve your checklist to be eligible for the honor.
- Graduating seniors must complete the online survey that is available in January of each year. (Only high school seniors should complete this survey)
Job Recruiters are searching for Tennessee Scholars Graduates! Don’t miss out on this opportunity! Contact your School Counselor and sign up to Become a Tennessee Scholar Today!
- 4 Units of English
- 4 Units of Math (Bridge Math does not count as a 4th Math for Tennessee Scholars. Successful completion of all competencies for Sails math will count)
- 3 Laboratory Sciences (Biology and Chemistry are required as 2 of those sciences)
- 3 Units of Social Studies
- 2 Units of Foreign Language
- 1 Unit Fine Arts
- Personal Finance as required by the State of Tennessee
- Physical Education as required by the State of Tennessee
- 2 Additional classes of your choice in any subject
No class can count more than once.
Additional Workforce Development Requirements
- No Out of School Suspension
- Maintain 95% attendance for 4 years (No more than 36 total days missed in 4 years)
- Maintain a C or above average in all classes. If your final class completion grade is a D or F you must retake that class and make at least a C to count that grade for the class.
- Perform 80 hours or more volunteer service hours to help your community. These hours must be done before school or after school and cannot be counted as a grade or for pay. Mission trips can be counted as 8 hours per day you work. Please make sure you keep a log of your hours.